Being a family caregiver for an elderly adult can be stressful and challenging. When you are not able to be with your parent as frequently as you would like, you may feel as though you cannot fulfill their care needs in the most effective and meaningful ways. During the holiday season, this can become even more emotional as you worry that you are not as connected with your loved one as you could be. Finding ways to reach out to your senior on a regular basis and let them know you are thinking about them is a wonderful chance to protect your senior’s mental and emotional health, boost their sense of relevance and importance, and also bring more meaning and value to your caregiver relationship. One way you can do this is by creating customized care packages for your senior. Not only is this a way to help your parents have the things they need and also enjoy, but it is also a great way to keep your senior and your children close even when they are far apart.
Let these ideas inspire you to create customized care packages for a senior living at a distance:
- Give them things they wouldn’t get for themselves but that you know they would love. For example, find candies or treats your parent loved when they were younger but have a harder time finding and send those
- Give them things they need, but with a twist. Items such as tissues, lotion, and lip balm are valuable during the winter season. They help your parent stay comfortable and can protect their health. Ensure your parent has these items, but make them more fun by choosing versions that are more “special”. For example, choose tissues with lotion, lip balm in fun, festive flavors, and luxurious lotion in wonderful scents
- Give them love. Each package is a way to show your parent you are thinking about them, but you can take it to another level with a few extra details. Include a handwritten letter or homemade cards from each member of the family. Add in pictures of activities and events from the time since the last visit. You can even have your children decorate the outside of the container for added personalization and excitement from the moment your senior sees it
When you are a family caregiver for an elderly adult, it is easy to become wrapped up in your care efforts and forget to take care of yourself. This can result in stress and exhaustion, and diminish not only your quality of life, but also the effectiveness of the care you give to your parents. Bringing senior care into your care routine with your parent is a meaningful way to not only ensure your senior gets everything they need, but also to protect your own health, well-being, and quality of life. A senior home care services provider will give you or aging parent a set of completely customized services specifically designed to match their needs and promote a lifestyle that is independent, fulfilling, and tailored exactly it to them as an individual.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Senior Care in Monticello, FL, please call the caring staff at Hopewell In-Home Senior Care today at 850-386-5552. Providing Senior Care Services in North Florida.
Latest posts by Jami D. Eddy (see all)
- What Can You Really Do When Your Senior Lives Far from You? - January 15, 2020
- Easy Solutions to the Difficulties Your Parents Encounter - January 6, 2020
- Ways to Help Prevent Accidents For Your Senior at Home - December 30, 2019