The thought of going in for a cancer screening can be intimidating. No matter how confident your parent feels about the type of treatment or intervention that they would pursue if they were diagnosed, the thought of the actual screening can make them nervous. As their family caregiver this is an important opportunity for you to reassure your parent and to make them feel more confident about what lies ahead.
Some ways that you can help your parent feel confident about their cancer screening include:
- Talk to their doctor. Getting thorough, detailed information from their doctor is a valuable way to help your parent feel more at ease and know what to expect. Encourage your parent to ask as many questions as they have and to get clear, detailed answers that make the feel satisfied.
- Explain as much as they want. Some cancer screenings are very quick and simple, while others are more extensive and invasive. Talk to your parent about how much they want to know and then ensure that they get this information. They may be satisfied with just a basic explanation of the test or they may want to know every detail. Give them all of the information they want so they know what to expect.
- Know the guidelines. Many people worry that they will not be properly prepared for a test and that they could skew the results. Review preparation guidelines with your parent’s doctor so that they know any instructions they should follow. These might include not eating or drinking, not wearing certain body products, or wearing certain clothing. Know these guidelines ahead of time and put plans into place to follow them when the day of the screening comes
Starting senior care for your parent can be a fantastic way to help your parent manage their needs and challenges in the most effective ways and support a lifestyle that is as independent and fulfilling as possible as they age in place. A senior home care services provider can be with your parent on a schedule that addresses not just their needs, but also the level of care that you are able to give them. This means that they will be able to manage their challenges in the ways that are right for them while also reducing your stress and ensuring that you are able to be handle other obligations and responsibilities in your life while focusing your energy, attention, and resources in the most efficient and effective ways.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Perry, FL, please call the caring staff at Hopewell In-Home Senior Care today at 850-386-5552. Providing Senior Care Services in North Florida
Latest posts by Jami D. Eddy (see all)
- The Psoriasis Stigma - September 18, 2018
- Adaptive Clothing and Tools to Make Dressing Easier - September 11, 2018
- Fingernail Care to Protect Your Senior’s Health - September 4, 2018