Caregiver in Perry FL
For adult children who suddenly find themselves in the role of primary family caregiver to aging loved ones, they can often begin to experience overwhelming feelings of guilt. Many adult children have families of their own, jobs to attend, and their own lives to lead. They often worry about the amount and quality of time spent with the aging loved one. Are the aging family members receiving enough social engagement to lead a happy and fulfilling life?
Lack of social activity can lead to significant negative impacts on the physical, mental, and emotion health, especially for seniors. Having friends and companionship can reduce stress, decrease blood pressure, and even fight off the onset of chronic depression and other anxiety disorders. To put this another way, being socially active simply increases the lifespan and provides a much higher quality of life. For the primary family caregiver of an elderly loved one, professional elder care services help to fill the gap.
Social activity improves mental health by fighting off depression and increasing memory and cognitive capabilities. One recent medical study estimates that approximately seven million people over the age of 65 currently experience some form of depression. And one in seven Americans will fall victim to some form of dementia after the age of 71. Fortunately, this same study shows that increased social activity can significantly reduce the risks for both disorders.
Companion care specialists can help to keep the aging loved ones socially engaged and mentally active in the following ways:
- Coordinate shopping trips or day trips to museums and other cultural events
- Engage in daily social conversation, discussing books, movies, and current events
- Take part in the aging loved one’s favorite hobbies, including gardening, scrapbooking, or home projects
- Transport the client to local nursing homes for visits with friends of their own age group.
- Act as a travel companion for doctor’s appointments or weekly errands into town
- Play card games, board games, or even complete jigsaw puzzles while engaging in friendly banter
Professional elder care specialists are not “babysitters.” They are professional, experienced home care providers with knowledge and expertise in the fields of depression and anxiety disorders. They know the early warning signs as well as the preventative measures for maintaining good mental and emotional health. By hiring a professional senior care specialist as a live-in companion for the aging loved one, the primary family caregiver ensures that the elderly family member remains socially active and mentally alert for years to come.
If you or an aging loved one are considering caregiver services in Perry, FL, please call the caring staff at Hopewell In-Home Senior Care today: (FL) 850-386-5552, (GA) 229-236-5552. Providing Senior Care Services in North Florida & South Georgia
Latest posts by Brian Moran, RN, Marketing Director, Partner (see all)
- Tips for Caring for a Senior Living with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - April 16, 2019
- Could Changes to the Voice Indicate a Problem? - April 10, 2019
- Too Busy to Exercise? Hire Home Care Providers - April 3, 2019