As a family caregiver you know how important it is to encourage your senior to wash their hands regularly. While you likely consider this a primary element of your parent’s germ control approach, it is important to understand that just basic washing is not the only way that you can protect your parent. Caring for your parent’s hands, particularly the skin of your parent’s hands, is a critical part of guarding their health and well-being throughout their later years.
Use these tips to help you care for your elderly parent’s hands:
- Clean under their nails. Germs can collect beneath the nails. Make sure that your parent washes under their nails thoroughly every time that they wash their hands.
- Keep their nails short. Encourage your senior to keep their nails short and smooth. Not only does this help to limit the amount of space where the germs can collect, but it also reduces the chances that they will scratch themselves, making them potentially vulnerable to germs.
- Take care of hangnails carefully. Discourage your senior from tearing or biting off any hangnails that they develop. This can not only introduce germs, but can also open up their skin to further issues. Instead, carefully trim away these hangnails and protect them from germs. Keep their cuticles well-moisturized to prevent further hangnails.
- Moisturize regularly. Your parent should wash their hands several times throughout the day. While this reduces germs, it can also dry out the skin and make it vulnerable to injuries and infections. Encourage your senior to apply high quality moisturizer to their skin regularly, particularly after washing, to keep it hydrated and the skin more resilient.
Starting senior care for your aging parent can be one of the best decisions that you can make for them throughout the course of your caregiver journey for them. A senior home care services provider can be with your parent on a customized schedule to ensure that they get all of the care, support, assistance, and encouragement that they need as they age in place. Through a set of highly personalized services tailored specifically to your aging parent’s needs, challenges, and limitations, this senior home care services provider can help your parent to stay healthy, safe, comfortable, and happy while pursuing a lifestyle that is as independent, active, and engaged as possible throughout their later years. When it comes to helping them keep their skin healthy and safe, this care provider can support your parent in fulfilling their personal care needs, such as effective bathing, and support good lifestyle choices such as regular handwashing and moisturization. As a family caregiver this can give you peace of mind knowing your senior can live a high quality of life when you are with them and when you are not.
If you or an aging loved one are considering senior care in Havana, FL, please call the caring staff at Hopewell In-Home Senior Care today at 850-386-5552. Providing Senior Care Services in North Florida.
Latest posts by Jami D. Eddy (see all)
- What Are the Best Hot Breakfasts for a Parent Who Doesn’t Like a Morning Meal? - February 12, 2019
- Signs Your Loved One Was Targeted by Tax Identity Theft - February 5, 2019
- How Could a Talk With Their Doctor Protect Your Senior from Falls? - January 29, 2019